Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Is your company right for you?

I met with a friend for coffee this morning who recently decided (yes, in this economy) that he needed to walk away from his job. The best part about it, he seemed so happy and at peace with himself. What had happened is that his company's values no longer aligned with his. He was strong enough to walk away. Why? Because he realized one BIG fact, it's just a job. As he put it "It's not what my life is all about, it's not what brings me happiness and it's certainly not what I want to be remembered for". There are so many times I see people who are so miserable at work, and mostly it's because of the people or culture they work with but they feel paraluzed and feel they can't do anything about it. There is one thing for sure, it is much harder to change a culture than change your situation. One of the most important attributes in being happy at work is "fitting" in with the company's values, vision and mission. If you don't, I would encourage you (not necessarily to quit your job - although that is sometimes my recommendation) to fina a company that is more of a fit for you! Would love any comments of folks who have been in this same situation and what you did! Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment